After a trip to the Kaliningrad region, I realized that it would be better if I chose Zelenogradsk as a “base”, and not Kaliningrad. Still, 1-2 days are enough for the capital, and then everyone still goes to coastal resorts and the Curonian Spit.
So why not swap cities and spend more time in Zelenogradsk, where the infrastructure is just as well developed and there is one big advantage – the sea. To deprive myself of the opportunity to read a book every day on the beach to the sound of the waves on the next trip now seems blasphemy to me.
Where is it better to stay in Zelenogradsk? Apartments, hotels, a good hostel and small tips on gastronomic orientation in the city are all in this article.
Regions of Zelenogradsk – which one is better for a tourist?
Zelenogradsk is a pleasantly small town with only 17,000 inhabitants. Even if you stop at its very entrance (for reasons known only to you), the journey to the sea will take no more than 20 minutes. On foot!
There is no such thing as districts of Zelenogradsk with their own separate names in the city. There is a conditional division into:
- Eastern part (closer to the Curonian Spit)
- Western part
And of course, the universal “near/far from the sea” or “1, 2, 3 coastline” applies to any housing. The sea is the center of life in Zelenogradsk. Here they see off sunsets, breathe in salty air, watch fishermen, birds and cats, have picnics with sand on their teeth and walk along the embankment, taking away smelt in a bag or a glass of coffee. Choose the option as close to the sea as possible and you won’t lose (but it’s not cheap, especially in summer).
Where is it better to stay in Zelenogradsk, if you focus on brand new and conveniently located residential complexes (follow the links – all available offers on rent in these houses):
— Park quarter: a large cluster of high-rise buildings near the city park
— Curonian: neighboring sector with the Park quarter
— Kranz-Prestige: elite and prestigious, but 15 minutes walk from the sea
— Midgard club: residential complex right on the embankment, many view apartments
Zelenogradsk is a box with all the most wonderful things: the sea without churchkhella and corn, the ubiquitous well-fed cats, unusual historical architecture and cool establishments – from coffee shops to restaurants. I really liked this town. And since the author of this article (I) is a bit of a geek about beautiful and comfortable accommodation while traveling, the selection below is made with great pleasure and attention to detail.
Where to stay in Zelenogradsk? Flats
Apartments, rooms, houses in Zelenogradsk – anything you like – can be found on the site Sutochno.ru. This is a search engine for private housing, which has significantly increased in the number of users and listings for the rental of housing after Airbnb left Russia. Photos, reviews, host rating – everything is like on a foreign service, BUT: without collecting a commission from the user. Perhaps this is still at the stage of development of the service, so use it.
Several points that dawned on me in the process of writing this article:
- Book your accommodation for the summer in advance. Zelenogradsk is a creepy tourist town that many people want to visit from June to August. Already at the beginning of June, all the coolest options for July and August were completely taken apart!
- During the high season, it is unlikely that you will be able to rent an apartment in Zelenogradsk for a day. On the part of the owners, there is often a restriction on the minimum rental period of 3-4 days. In the case of one day in the city, it is better to choose hotels.
- A big, big plus is that it is difficult to run into frankly bad housing in Zelenogradsk. The city has many new residential complexes with comfortable apartments. So it’s not even necessary to carefully study which area of Zelenogradsk is best to choose.
No. 1. A NICE APARTMENT IN ONE OF THE BEST RESIDENTIAL COMPLEXES IN THE CITY
Here is a link to the apartment
Nice design and good location – these elements are common to many apartments, but what makes this one special? In short, here they really thought about the convenience of living. Annoying little things – not about this place: it's time to wash things, here's the powder; I wanted to drink tea, tea leaves and sugar on the shelf; I needed to open a bottle, here's a bottle opener.
A full-fledged inhabited one-room apartment in a new residential complex near the city park of Zelenogradsk – with a balcony, a dishwasher, a washing machine, two TVs and even an oven. If you arrived by car, then there is a parking space in the yard, and the journey on foot to the beach and the promenade will take exactly 10 minutes. On the territory of the residential complex in the mornings you can go for coffee in the SunCoffeeShop, and in the evenings (I rent one of my favorite locations) – to the Svoi Ugol bar, but not for coffee …
Accommodates up to 4 people
50+ reviews with a rating of 9.9 (out of 10)
Price: in season from 7500 rubles/night, in off-season – from 4000 rubles.
And here are some more cool finds in the same area (in principle, it consists of fresh residential complexes, so it often gets into selections where it is better for a tourist to stay in Zelenogradsk):
- Provence-style odnushka is very sweetheart and for 5,000 rubles a day
- The most inexpensive option is a one-room apartment for two for 4,400 rubles a day
№2. APARTMENT IN GERMAN HOUSE WITH SEA VIEW
Here is a link to the apartment
Three magic words “sea view” and an adequate price can cause involuntary booking of an apartment without looking, but let's look at the details under a magnifying glass.
Specifically, this apartment is on equal terms with the first in terms of cuteness, but it loses in terms of amenities – a tiny and uncomfortable sink, an induction mini-stove, a TV for show and no extra trifles. Everything is purely for sale. The view of the sea is also a snag – it is still from afar (but in Zelenogradsk, in principle, there are no apartments where the sea would directly “beat” into the windows, this is the privilege of hotels).
But how she wins in location! I left the entrance, and here they are – the beach, the Ferris wheel, the promenade, the pier, delicious coffee at Port-o-Coffee and breakfasts with avocados at the Branch & Bowl, the very center of life. Plus, there is the option of contactless check-in — you can arrive at least at midnight.
And the price! Against such a cost (combined with a modern interior) there is nothing to object to. You won't find a cheaper apartment in the central district of Zelenogradsk. Well, and to live in a historic house of German buildings – there is something in this, right? I would definitely stay for a couple of days.
Accommodates up to 4 people
55+ reviews with a rating of 9.8 (out of 10)
Price: in season from 6000 rubles/night, off-season – from 2500 rubles.
№3. LARGE DOUBLE ROOM IN KRANZ PRESTIGE
Here link to apartment
Spacious 65 squares, designed for six guests (but one person will have to sleep in the kitchen). A residential complex with an exterior design “like Europe”, from which, apparently, the incredibly pretentious name Kranz-Prestige appeared.
Located in a quiet residential area of Zelenogradsk, a 15-minute walk from the beach. It seems that this is a good option where to stay in Zelenogradsk with children or with a large family: it is calm, not crowded and green, there is a playground on the territory, and nearby is the FiloSovia owl museum (a must-see) and the popular Konigsbaker bakery.
A well-equipped kitchen, lots of light and impeccable cleanliness – everything is good here, along with a sympathetic host. It is convenient to walk to and from the Zelenogradsk railway station (10 minutes), and there is free parking for those burdened with a car.
Accommodates up to 6 people
45+ reviews with a rating of 9.9 (out of 10 )
Price: in season from 9500 rubles/night, in off-season — from 6000 rubles.
№4. CHEAP FOR SIX
Here is a link to the apartment
A place where you can stay in Zelenogradsk inexpensively can be Kranz-Prestige – the residential complex described above.
The decor in this one-room apartment is as simple as possible, but with unusual touches like a fireplace and a robot vacuum cleaner. The cost is sweet even in the high summer season. Divide it into six – and you get an apartment cheaper than a hostel. All the advantages of the residential complex are included (read in the previous apartment), good location, including: 15 minutes walk to the embankment in pleasant areas.
Accommodates up to 6 people
30+ reviews with a rating of 9, 7 (out of 10)
Price: from 5000 rubles/night in season, from 2500 rubles in off-season.
№5. 16 VIEW APARTMENTS IN THE PARK HOUSE
Here is a link to the apartment
I have never heard so many recommendations. I can bet that Park House is the most popular residential complex in Zelenogradsk. This is understandable: incredibly stylish design of even the most basic apartment, sea views from every second and location right on the beach. And a lot of room for choice – from a studio of 35 sq.m. for two to the stunning beauty of two-story apartments of 93 sq.m. for four. If we talk about a trip without regard to the budget, then it is better to rent an apartment here.
In such apartments, you want to spend time and shoot room tours for social networks. The reception will help with any everyday problem (it is here, yes), and with a moral one – the sound of the surf, the view of the sea and an endless number of establishments on the embankment: Dacha (pizza, wine, seafood, grill), Promenade (emphasis on local seasonal products), Sambia (rubanina, stroganina) is the first thing that comes to mind.
In total, 16 apartments are available for rent. Well, and the most useful remark: for a sea view, rent apartments at numbers 5, 20, 41, 51, 53, 60 from the “regular” and 61, 66, 67, 68 from the duplex. On the LCD page on Yandex.Travel, there is just this numbering.
Accommodates from 2 to 4 people
30+ reviews with a rating of 5.0 (out of 5)
Price: in season from 10,000 rubles per night.
№6. DIRECTLY ON THE EMBANK
Here is the link to the apartment
If you have already been to Zelenogradsk and, walking sedately along the promenade, could not get rid of the thought – well, who lives in these houses along the sea? .. – then on your next visit you can become that “who” by renting this apartment in the center Zelenogradsk.
“Dvushka” in a new house, located just a minute from Kurortny Prospekt (embankment). With a fresh stylish renovation and side sea views. This is also one of the rare options where you can stay with animals (but inform the hostess in advance). If I could make plans for spending time in an apartment from photographs, then I would not get out of my chair on a sunlit balcony.
Accommodates up to 2 people
19 reviews with a rating of 10.0 ( of 10)
Price: in season from 10,000 rubles/night, in off-season — from 5,000 rubles.
And here is another option for four in the same complex – it is also with the largest the number of tourist reviews and the lowest price in the off-season (4000 rubles).
#7. THE MOST BUDGET BUT DECENT OPTION
Here is a link to the apartment
Everything is standard: a large odnushka with a balcony in a panel house, unpretentious but recent, repair and impeccable cleanliness. There is individual heating, which counts as a plus for the cool Zelenogradsk off-season.
It is located in the western part of the city, in a residential area of five-story buildings with pharmacies and grocery stores on the first floors. It’s a 15-minute walk to the promenade (let’s take the Promryba cafe as a guide, where you should definitely try the Baltic fried smelt), and directly to the sea, as they say in the reviews, there is a “short road”.
Accommodates up to 3 people
11 reviews with a rating of 9.7 (out of 10)
Price: in season from 3600 rubles/night, in off-season – from 3000 rubles.
#8. SIMPLE ONE ROOM CLOSE TO THE SEA
Here is the link to the apartment
An excellent option for those who are looking for an inexpensive place to stay with children in Zelenogradsk. Everyone will have to sleep on two folding sofas, but this seems to be the only negative.
Everything else only adds points to this apartment: from the panorama of old German houses from the balcony window to the presence of a washing machine, an adequate stove and a friendly hostess. And it's also an attic – with unusual windows in a sloping ceiling. The water tower is a 5 minute walk and 5 minutes walk to the beach.
Sits up to 4 people
35 reviews rated 9.9 out of 10
Price: from 4000 rubles/night in season, from 2500 rubles in off-season.
Good hotels and hostels in Zelenogradsk
Unlike 2000+ offers for apartments, there are an order of magnitude fewer hotels in Zelenogradsk. Large chains such as Ibis or Holiday Inn have not reached the local market, but interesting boutique and spa hotels have appeared.
Small choice dictates significant price tags: in most cases it is more profitable to rent apartments than hotels. Requests in the spirit of “cheap, downtown and with breakfast” are more likely to be about booking an apartment (in which you cook your own breakfast).
I took the hotel rating from the Yandex.Travel website, a service that replaced Booking in the search for hotels within Russia. There is also a second search engine – Ostrovok – where there are more hotel options, but there is almost no “pay later” option.
- 3* Paradox is my number one answer to the age-old question, where is it better for a tourist to stay in Zelenogradsk . Pretty nice hotel in the very center, right next to the water tower (local landmark). Its strengths are its location, spacious rooms, general comfort and friendly staff. Oh, and don't forget about the “suite room with private sauna” option!
Price per night: from 10,000 rubles in season/from 4,800 rubles in off-season.
Hotel rating: 5.0 (200+ reviews).
- 5* Just’s — the first 5-star hotel in Zelenogradsk arrived in time for the 2023 season. At the very least, the building itself is very interesting: it was built in 1906 (!) in Prussia as a hotel. Having made a historical jump of 100+ years, the building survived the fire, managed to visit a military hospital and, as a result, receive the status of a cultural heritage site for its external chic and age and return to its roots, once again becoming a hotel named after the first owner of the building, Mr. Yust. Opens in July, follow the reviews!
Price per night: from 12,000 rubles in season/from 8,000 rubles in off-season.
Hotel rating: —
- 4* Spa Hotel Zelenogradsk – to play out the best scenario for a vacation from the city: check into a quiet hotel far from the bustle of tourists, periodically go down to the local spa for a massage and read a book on the beach, which is exactly ten steps away, or do it on the balcony of the room with sea views. The hotel has many non-obvious pluses – from toothbrushes to a good heating system; and cons – like a tiny free spa area for guests, which, moreover, you can only look into before lunch. It would be a good idea to take a rate with breakfast or pay for it on the spot (800 rubles), since the hotel, although located on the first line by the sea, is still far from the trendy breakfast places of the city.
Price per night: from 15,000 rubles in season/from 5,500 rubles in off-season.
Hotel rating: 5.0 (700+ reviews).
- The 4* GreenDorf Hotel & Spa is a brand new hotel from 2022, stylish and with a glorious minimalist spirit. Like the previous one, it is a 15-minute walk from the city center, but not by the beach. As a plus, it has a more developed spa area – with 4 types of saunas and a swimming pool, where hotel guests (hooray) can luxuriate up to 12 days without limit. And in the reviews, they note something amazing: small compliments in the form of fruit or wine from the hotel for having to wait for a check-in! Are we really in Russia?:)
Price per night: from 9000 rubles.
Hotel rating: 5.0 (370+ reviews).
- Hostel Art is the place where you can stay inexpensively in Zelenogradsk, if you are not embarrassed by the neighborhood with other people. Bunk beds, mixed or only female/male rooms for 8 people, a personal locker with a lock, a shared bathroom – everything is as it should be in a hostel, but with special emphasis on cleanliness and friendliness. Plus, it is located exactly in the center, hence the excellent ratings.
Price per night in a dormitory room: from 1400 rubles in season/from 1000 rubles in off-season.
Hostel rating: 5.0 (200+ reviews ).
- AmsterDOM is an apart-hotel in the building next to Zelenogradsky (which has a spa). Accordingly, the sea with the beach at your side, and along the promenade you can walk to the center in 20 minutes. Even the rooms of the “standard” category are larger than our odnushka in Kazan, and all the little things are taken into account: the washing machine comes with powder, and with the stove – oil and spices.
Price per night: from 9000 rubles in season/from 4000 rubles in off-season.
Hotel rating: 5.0 (90+ reviews).
- Malina – glamping on the outskirts of Zelenogradsk. You choose a house or a tent for living and use the benefits of the common area – a swimming pool, sun loungers and a beach. There is a cafe, a bar, and entertainment like board games and SUP board rentals. But, to be honest, if something weighty didn’t keep me in this location, for the same money I would stay in a more comfortable and beautiful glamping Polyana right on the Curonian Spit.
Price per night: from 11 000 rubles in season/from 5500 rubles in off-season.
Hotel rating: 4.4 (50+ reviews).
My tips for Zelenogradsk and reviews of tourists
Reviews of tourists about Zelenogradsk are written in a huge quantity — just have time to read the next batch of stories from friends on social networks about how they would like to move to the Kaliningrad region!
I will add some practical tips:
- To be in Zelenogradsk and not see the Curonian Spit is a crime (only those who have already been there are forgiven). The harsh Baltic Sea, dunes, a forest grown in the middle of the sand, the world's first (but not quite) ornithological station and glampings. Get there on your own, take a car or a tour – but most importantly, go.
- By the way, about car rental: in the Kaliningrad region, my favorite service is Lokalrent, where you can rent a car for 2000-3000 rubles per day. But it's better to get the car right at the Kaliningrad airport – otherwise you need to pay for the delivery. My favorite, because even now, with a non-working Russian bank card, I can still rent a car through them in Turkey, Thailand and even Spain.
- You can get to Zelenogradsk from Kaliningrad or vice versa by train railway station Zelenogradsk Novy – Kaliningrad Yuzhny. They go often, the fare costs 79–90 rubles.
- What to see in Zelenogradsk: the embankment and the beach, the Ferris wheel, the water tower and the lookout on its top, cats and cats.
- There is such a topic for debate… Svetlogorsk or Zelenogradsk? Personally, Zelenogradsk seemed to me more developed, lively, but also touristic. In addition, Svetlogorsk is currently undergoing a major rebuilding of the embankment.
- The places on my “must-see” list, in addition to those that I already mentioned in the article: Xleb for breakfast and pastries, and neighboring Balt for more substantial meals ; Croissant bakery (Kaliningrad hit); Promryba stall with smelt and shrimp shawarma, which is legendary; well, I repeat Port-o-Coffee with delicious coffee and postcard views of the sea.
Best excursions in Zelenogradsk
Zelenogradsk is very favorably located in relation to the obligatory points on the route through the Kaliningrad region – the Curonian Spit and resort and historical towns. Close to go and to Kaliningrad – 45 minutes by train. Zelenogradsk itself is compact and friendly to walking. In a word, you can do everything yourself.
But if you need a “guide” with whom you can go into any gateway and find out what role this gateway played in the history of the city, or just drive along the spit without bothering search for a car or a bus schedule, then you are on these two sites with excursions:
There you can get lost not only in the description of excursions, but also in the reviews – for example, a trip to the Curonian Spit has more than four hundred of them! With such baggage, you can definitely decide whether a guide is right for you or it is better to look for another program.
5 interesting excursions in Zelenogradsk:
|❤️To the Curonian Spit without crowds||Specifically, this excursion captivates with an early departure from Zelenogradsk – ahead of all the buses following to the spit from Kaliningrad – and contemplation of the spit alone. Judging by the reviews, the promise is kept!||1430 rubles per person
(+ eco-fee of 300 rubles at the entrance to the spit)
|❤️The Curonian Spit with a guide-writer||The highest level excursion to the spit is a guide-author of books in the region, a comfortable car and only your company.||9750 rubles for an excursion
(up to 3 people)
|❤️Zelenogradsk for children and parents||Walk around the city with an emphasis on the smallest participants – see cat houses and monuments, decipher riddles, get a lot of impressions about Zelenogradsk.||910 rubles per person|
|❤️One day to Yantarny, Svetlogorsk and Filinsky Bay||You will drive through the famous Baltic towns and answer the question for yourself which one is better in the end.||1640 rubles per person< /td>|
|❤️From Zelenogradsk to Kaliningrad||Express tour of the regional capital: 3 hours and 15 sights in the program.||1040 rubles from person|
Map of Zelenogradsk districts
As you remember, everything is very conditional. So on the map, where I will mark which areas in Zelenogradsk are suitable for tourists, there will be such designations:
- The city park and everything around is the eastern part
- Port Coffee House -o-Coffee – central part
- AmsterDom Hotel – eastern part