In October, in temperate latitudes, autumn fully comes into its own. It's getting cold outside, and the already short days seem dull and gray. In such weather, one really wants to pack a suitcase and leave for a fabulous island, be on the seashore, sunbathe under palm trees and drink a refreshing fresh juice of juicy tropical fruits for breakfast.
The Thai island of Koh Samui at first glance seems to be a very suitable place for autumn relaxation. Warm sea and fabulous nature, friendly Thais and exotic local cuisine: it would seem, why not an ideal vacation?
Will Koh Samui live up to your expectations in October? What does the resort offer guests in the middle of autumn? What weather prevails at this time? Kidpassage collected all the nuances of a holiday on Koh Samui in October in his review.
Koh Samui in October: advantages and disadvantages
Traveling to Koh Samui in October – this is a combination of serene secluded relaxation, an interesting excursion program and a variety of leisure activities in Thai clubs.
Reviews about holidays on Koh Samui in October are usually positive, because most of those who chose mid-autumn for a trip to a Thai island are ready for changeable and rainy weather and go to Koh Samui not so much for beaches and sun, but for new emotions and impressions.
Let's name the main benefits that guests of the resort receive in mid-autumn:
- In October, the weather is moderately warm – this is the right time to go for a walk or excursion.
- The calm sea will definitely appeal to surfers. Note that the waves off the coast of the Thai island are not as big as on the neighboring islands, and therefore Koh Samui – an ideal place for beginner athletes.
- In October, fairs and sales are held everywhere in Koh Samui shops, one of the rainy days can be devoted to shopping. The abundance of original Thai souvenirs will not leave you indifferent.
- The number of tourists during the height of the rainy season is much less than in previous months.
- In October, prices for accommodation, excursions and entertainment are reduced.
Disadvantages of holidays on Koh Samui in October, too, we will highlight the following:
- A full-fledged beach holiday in October is hardly possible. Strong waves often rise on the sea, in addition, significant low tides often occur at this time of the year.
- Mid-autumn – one of the rainiest periods on the island.
- During the rainy season, Koh Samui always has high humidity, it becomes more difficult to breathe, and things take longer to dry.
- In October, due to wet weather, there are a lot of mosquitoes in the resort.
- Due to the small flow of tourists, Koh Samui's tourist infrastructure is at best half-working, many entertainment venues and restaurants are closed for the entire period of the rainy season.
Koh Samui weather in October
Calendar autumn on Koh Samui – the peak of the wet season. Weather in October – November is characterized by high rainfall. The sky at this time is often covered with clouds, but this has its advantages: the impression that it is impossible to get a tan at this time is deceptive. The tan fits perfectly on the skin even in cloudy weather, and the likelihood of getting sunburn is reduced.
The weather on Koh Samui in early October remains hot and stuffy. The thermometer during the day stays at levels from + 27 °С to +32 °С. At night, the air temperature drops slightly, but it is at night that the greatest amount of precipitation occurs. For evening walks, be sure to bring a raincoat or umbrella.
The temperature on Koh Samui gradually drops in mid-October. The weather is changeable, sunny days give way to showers and thunderstorms, which can go on for several days in a row and end just as quickly.
The weather on Koh Samui at the end of October is even more unstable, the wet season is gaining momentum. During this period, the wind intensifies, and the sea often storms, flooding the beaches. The air temperature does not change significantly and is within +25…30 °С.
Air and water temperature
Koh Samui is located in a quiet and calm Gulf of Thailand, which largely determines its climate. Of all the Thai resorts, this particular island is the hottest.
The temperature on Koh Samui in October is 1-2 degrees higher than, for example, in neighboring Phuket. And the rains here are not as intense as in the rest of Thailand.
Air temperature on Koh Samui in October
A feature of the rainy season on the Thai island is almost the same air temperature during the day and night. Although there is no real tropical heat in October, the high temperature at night, combined with high humidity, is tiring.
degrees cooler (+28.4 °С).
Sea temperature on Koh Samui in October
The sea off the coast of Koh Samui is warm throughout the year. In October, the average water temperature is +29.3 °C. However, frequent downpours interfere with a full-fledged beach holiday, during which waves rise on the sea, and the water becomes cloudy from silt and sand raised from the bottom.
Beginning in early September, the rainy season in the Thai resort in October is gaining momentum. According to weather forecasters, the second month of autumn is one of the rainiest months of the year.
The average amount of precipitation falling on Koh Samui in October is 196.4 mm, which promises at least 20 rainy days per month.
Sunny, cloudy and overcast days
Most of October, the sky above the island is covered with clouds. Partly cloudy is observed on 45% of the days of the month, 16% of the October days are cloudy outside the window, and only 39% of the month the sun shines in full force.
The definition of “rainy season”, which often scares away tourists, does not mean at all that at this time it rains endlessly on Koh Samui and the sun does not seen through the clouds.
Although the beach season is nearing its end in early October, there are still enough vacationers on the coast. Koh Samui's most popular beaches stretch along the north and northeast coasts. You will certainly have the opportunity to sunbathe and soak up the warm waters of the Gulf of Thailand.
Active rest: where to go after the wave?
If you are planning a vacation in mid-October and have long dreamed of mastering surfing , then Koh Samui – the perfect place to start your workout. Safe gently sloping coast, warm sea, no dangerous rocks in the coastal zone and moderate wind are the best for the first lessons.
The necessary infrastructure for water sports is on the entire coast of Koh Samui, but the most popular beaches among athletes are Bophut and Maenam. There are equipment rentals and schools for beginners.
- Things to do with children on Koh Samui
At the end of October, many tourists come to Koh Samui to get to know the culture and traditions of Thailand, its natural and architectural attractions. We offer a list of the most popular ones:
- Big Buddha Statue– one of the most popular sightseeing places on Koh Samui. The height of the monument reaches 12 m. This attraction can be seen from almost anywhere in the city. Locals believe that as long as the Big Buddha rises above the island, Koh Samui and its people are completely safe.
- Waterfalls The islands are best visited during the rainy season, when they are at their fullest and fastest. In October, these natural sites are so beautiful that they invariably attract hundreds of tourists every day. Be sure to take the time to visit them and don't forget to bring your camera.
- Plai Laem Temple was built not so long ago, in 2004, but it is one of the most significant cultural attractions on island and, in addition, one of the most beautiful places of worship in the resort.
Koh Samui – popular place for families with children. Even in October, during the rainy season, little travelers will not be bored. To name a few interesting locations for family holidays:
- Samui Aquarium and Tiger Zoo introduces amazed guests to the inhabitants of the deep sea and exotic land animals. Interestingly, some of them, such as small monkeys and guinea pigs, can even be fed with candied fruits and seeds.
- The crocodile farm attracts, first of all, with a fascinating show with the participation of crocodiles and snakes. Experienced trainers easily tame giant reptiles, which delight visitors of all ages.
- Pink Elephant Water Park will help you have a great time with the whole family while the waves are on the sea.
Holidays, events, festivals
Holidays on Koh Samui in October are not numerous, but those that are held this month are celebrated in a fun and colorful way.
In mid-October, when the rice harvest is completed on the island, the locals hold a grand festival dedicated to the completion of the work. The program of the event is very rich and spectacular. It includes beauty contests, bullfights, colorful costume processions, fire shows and fireworks.
Thai rowing competitions are held in the last decade of the second autumn month. Along with sports competitions, street musical performances and fairs are held everywhere.
Koh Samui prices in October – one of the lowest in the year: changeable weather and a small flow of tourists affect. If you still decide to spend your October vacation on an exotic island, then you can count on a small vacation budget.
The money saved will be useful for buying colorful Thai souvenirs. And there are plenty to choose from here!
Most of the hotels are located in the northern and northeastern parts of Koh Samui. In October, hotel prices are traditionally low.
The average cost of a hotel room in October is about 120-130 euros per day. This level of prices has been maintained since the previous month, and in November the cost of renting rooms increases by 5–7%.
- Koh Samui hotels for families
Air ticket prices
For those who have chosen the Thai island of Koh Samui as their holiday destination, air travel is the fastest and most convenient way to get to their destination.
Demand for air tickets at this time of the year falls, respectively, there is a seasonal decrease in prices. In October, the cost of plane tickets is lower than in the previous month by 3-5%. In November, air tickets will fall in price by another 5-7% compared to October prices.
Tours to Koh Samui in the middle of autumn are available to a wide range of tourists. The average cost of a week-long tour to a Thai island in October is about 840 euros per adult in a standard hotel room.
In September, a similar tour will cost 15 & ndash; 18% cheaper, and in November the cost of tours decreases by 5–10% compared to October.
Tips for kids
October is not the perfect time for a family vacation on a Thai island. Rainy weather can spoil a beach holiday, and on those days when the sun peeps through the clouds, the sea often storms. However, there is always something to do at the resort, especially if you are visiting Koh Samui for the first time.
- Family holidays with children in Koh Samui: Kidpassage guide
In conclusion, we give some important advice to parents. We hope that our recommendations will help you in organizing a holiday with children.
- It is better to plan a trip with babies for another time of the year. Despite the fact that there is no sweltering heat at this time of the year at the resort, the high humidity will make the kids uncomfortable.
- Even if you do not plan to be on the beach for a long time, it will not be superfluous to grab sunscreen. The Thai sun is active even in cloudy weather.
- Be sure to put raincoats and umbrellas in your luggage, a light blouse will also come in handy for your child for evening walks.
- If your baby needs baby food, we advise you to take a supply mix for the first time. The fact is that during the rainy season on the island, roads may be flooded and there may be problems with the delivery of products to local shops.
If you have already planned a trip to Koh Samui in October, do not hesitate and reschedule tour. Great vacation, new experiences, vivid emotions and colorful souvenirs Thailand will give at any time of the year.